Earlier this year, I did the Hairlista Healthy Ends challenge and I was really proud of myself about what I achieved. I kept my ends covered — on and off, more on than off — for about six months. It was hard, because I love playing around in my hair, but it worked because I really retained length. I was looking around for another challenge, but none of them really worked for me. So, I decided to design my own challenge: The Accidental Natural’s protective style challenge.
I started it on September 4 when I put my kinky twists in. This challenge will run until Saturday, December 4.
This is what I’m going to do:
- Keep my hair in protectives styles (kinky twists, two-strand twists, wigs and I’m going to attempt a bun before I have to start wearing a hat! It will mean that I have to lightly straighten my hair. I’m hoping not to do it with heat)
- Wash scalp with shampoo and co-wash hair weekly
- Deep condition with heat as needed
- Oil scalp with castor oil/olive oil mix 3x week
- Moisturize daily and seal with oil
- Wear kinky twists at least twice from now until December 4
I think that’s all for my first attempt at my own challenge. I will try to do Part 2 of the challenge starting Saturday, January 1 and will run until Friday, April 1. We’ll see, we’ll see — I may change my mind because seven months of protective styles will DEFINITELY be a challenge.
Hey readers, lurkers, commenters! Are any of you doing challenges this fall season?