Need deep conditioning help!

Last week, I took my twists out and I wanted to pamper my hair with a nice deep conditioning treatment before I styled. But guess what? I had run out.

Gasp! I had been using QP Elasta’s DPR-11 or Ms. Key’s 10 en 1.

Thankfully, great bloggers and commenters have shared a secret with me: mix some oil with a regular conditioner to make a deep conditioning treatment. So, I mixed my oil mixture with some Aussie Moist and EO Rose & Chamomile conditioner, slapped on a plastic cap and my Heat Therapy Wrap and called it a day.

But, as I think about it, I want a DC treatment. The day before I realized a had run out of deep conditioner, I was caressing a $3.99 Pantene Pro-V Medium-Thick Hair Solutions Intensive Restoration Treatment at Shoppers that I thought long and hard about buying. I could have went up the street to my local beauty supply and get some more QP Elasta DPR-11… but I am trying to use more organic products.

Luckily for me, Honey Fig is having their Anniversary Sale! (You know I was looking for an excuse to buy something!). Here are some of the front runners:

• Blended Beauty Herbal Reconditioner, $24
  • Carol’s Daughter Tui Hair Smoothie, $26
  • Jessicurl Weekly Deep Conditioning Treatment, $24

On an aside, last week, the natural hair blogs were all beside themselves because it seems that one of the more popular hair product manufacturers, Afroveda, increased their prices. I can’t use their products (chocked full of coconut and nuts), but I can understand people’s annoyance. These products — including the ones I just listed — aren’t cheap. I don’t expect to spend $4 on an all-natural product, but really, the prices are getting out of control.  I know getting all-natural or organic products is important, but that doesn’t mean that I can break the bank! Deep conditioners with good ingredients have no business being in the mid-$20 range — it’s ridiculous and unnecessary.

So, because of that rant, I checked out well.ca to see what green deep conditioners I can try without breaking the bank. I’m thinking of trying out these (even if I have to add some oil to the mixture):

• Alaffia Neem & Shea Butter Scalp Recovery Conditioner, $16.69
  • Avalon Organics Peppermint Revitalizing Conditioner with Babassu Oil, $8.69
  • Hugo Naturals Red Tea & Ylang Ylang Conditioner, $17.59
  • North American Hemp Co. Omega Deep Conditioning Treatment, $10.25

A lot more financially manageable, n’est pas?

What are your recommendations? The only request I have is that your recommendations for me don’t have any  coconut-based ingredients or nut oils. Lemme know!

Advertisements

7 Comments Add yours

1. Nikkele says:

Hey there! I use Aubrey Organics. I haven’t given my hair a treatment in a while. I am excited to finally give my hair some TLC. I’ve heard Giovanni Direct is a good one.

1. urbansista says:

You’re teasing me with Aubrey Organics! I would love to try it, but it’s chock full of coconut 😦 It seems like many of the good conditioners are full of coconut. Sigh. I am going to check out Giovanni and see if they have a deep conditioner.

2. Shan says:

I use the Curls Curl Ecstasy Asian Tea Conditioner on my daughter’s hair. I looked at the ingredients and didn’t see any nut ingredients in it.

I also found the Curls products at Shades of Beauty in Agincourt Mall and they were cheaper than other stores I have bought them at (which were also cheaper than Honey Fig). Trade Secrets sells them now too, though I don’t know what their prices are.

1. urbansista says:

Whoo hoo! No nut or coconut in there — as far as I can see! Maybe I’ll try it out. My sister-in-law LOVES Curls products, so I’ll see. I didn’t know Shades of Beauty carried Curls! The last time I was in there was probably early this year and I didn’t see anything. It’s easier for me to get to Trades Secrets, so I may pick it up one of these days.

1. Shan says:

Oh, I hope that Shades of Beauty hasn’t stopped carrying the products! Good thing I stocked up when I was there. I got tired of driving east to get the products (and have them never be there) so I looked on the Curls website and found them there.

Do you know anywhere in T.O. other than Honey Fig that sells lines like Blended Beauty and Carol’s Daughter? I want to give those lines a try.

3. Laura says:

I recently fell in love with Nature’s Gate Jojoba conditioner. Not sure about the nut content!

I also adore Giovanni, especially their Vitapro Fusion leave in treatment, but that’s for my fine, straight hair. So if you’re looking for something more intense maybe try their Direct Leave-in or the Nutrafix Hair Reconstructor. Based on the ingredients list at Well.ca, looks like that last one is nut free!

1. urbansista says:

Thanks Laura! I’m going to research the ingredients to make sure. It’s always good to have a bunch of recommended products to try!