As we approach the end of 2009, I decided to do a couple of Top 5 lists. Today, I’m focusing on my Top 5 hair products. Throughout the next two weeks, I’ll highlight my Top 5 lessons learned, Top 5 hair myths and the Top 5 reasons I’m happy to be nappy. Of course, the last part of my NYC trip, Urban Sista in Gotham: The Black Friday Chronicles will be posted.
So, what could I not live without? A couple of months ago, the list would have been as long as my arm. Now? I think I’ve fine-tuned it to a couple of staples that make doing my hair a happier, simpler experience. Here we go:
- Kiss My Face Whenever conditioner – It’s just good and it’s not expensive – that alone makes me smile. Once you find something that works, don’t change it. This works for me. It’s widely available at my local Shoppers and it makes my hair sing… with the addition of some extra oils. My hair likes oils – I can’t do anything with it.
- Country Rose Soap Co.’s Natural Liquid Shampoo – I shared with you last week that my scalp requires shampoo or else all hell breaks loose. This natural shampoo is where it’s at. Granted, I can’t use it every day or every week – it will dry my hair out – it cleans my scalp excellently, removing any build up that will cause major scalp issues.
- Super conditioner/moisturizer – Butters, oils, aloe vera gel, some essential oils – yummy hair goodness. This is one of the first concoctions that I put together when trying to figure out what my hair needed. This stuff is the truth. I have my skeptical sister using it, my mother, mother-in-law, sister-in-law and father-in-law using it. To me, that means something is working.
- Olive oil and castor oil – Oiling my scalp works. Point blank.
- My Denman brush – Some folks say it’s too harsh, I love it. Why? It gets my hair clumping and detangled. Be gentle with the Denman and the Denman will be gentle with you.
This list is certainly not comprehensive – my Ampro Styl Clear Ice gel and satin cap are missing – but my hair would look cute and be moisturized and my scalp wouldn’t revolt against me if this was all that I was working with.
Honourable mentions go to:
- QP Elasta DPR-11
- Miss Key’s 10 en 1
- Blended Beauty Curl Quenching conditioner
What about you readers, commenters and lurkers? What products would you consider to be in your Top 5?