HoneyFig: Fighting product junkie-ism day-by-day

Picture courtesy of torontostyle.net.

A couple of weeks ago, I was meeting up with my sister and some friends for dinner on a temperate Friday night. The restaurant was north of downtown. Seeing that I had a transit day pass, I was able to roam up to North York Centre subway… up to the famed HoneyFig store (4967 Yonge Street, (416) 226-2100 or 1-888-82-HONEY).

I had been ordering products from HoneyFig for a good two years — especially when I first went natural and had NO clue what products to use. I’ve ordered Miss Jessie’s, Blended Beauty, Ultra Black Hair, my Hair Therapy Wrap and Oyin Handmade products — with plans to pick up some other things over the next few weeks.

I was planning to head to HoneyFig once the weather got warmer with a friend, but the opportunity presented itself a little earlier than was expected. About 35 minutes from the heart of downtown Toronto to the store on Yonge St. north of Sheppard. I was excited to finally get there.

I walked about seven minutes from the subway to the store on the east side of Yonge St. Although the weather wasn’t too cold, that walk froze me, so I was happy to get into the warm, relaxing store. Painted in greens, there were products to the left of me and products to the right of me. The first thing I saw was a wall full, FULL, of Carol’s Daughter! Now I recently did a review of the line’s Hair Milk and Lisa’s Hair Elixir, but there were a few things that I wanted to try: the Tui Hair Smoothie and the Black Vanilla conditioner. I wonder why they don’t sell them through their website… but HoneyFig did say there is more selection at the store than online.

Of course, the full Miss Jessie’s line is there — including their new Super Sweetback Treatment (which is now available online). That intrigued me because I do like MJ’s Rapid Recovery Treatment. If that product floats my follicular boat, this new product may make be yell from the rooftops. Of course, the price ($54 for 18 oz), to me, is absolutely ridiculous. When they start selling the 2 oz, I may check it out. The back wall was full of Blended Beauty, Donna Marie, Komaza Care, Kinky-Curly and Jessicurl. Beside that display I saw Darcy’s Botanicals and Fabric products.

So you understand, I was in hair heaven.

As some of you know, I’ve been on a spending fast. I read at Knaps that to control your product junkie-ism, buy yourself one product per month or every other month. When I decided that I was going to head to HoneyFig, I saw that I would allow myself to buy one product.

Just one.

In a store of hundreds.

Sniff.

What is a natural girl to do? The salesperson who was in the store asked me if I was OK and when I said I was, she encouraged me to look around. I checked my watch — I only had 20 minutes to figure out what I was going to buy before I had to head down to the restaurant.

Darcy’s Botanicals looked interesting. I picked up their Madagascar Vanilla Styling Creme ($22 for 8 oz) and I smelled it. Let me tell you, online shopping does nothing for the experience of actually holding, smelling and rubbing product into your skin. I wanted something moisture-rich, so as I looked around I saw a new product: Darcy Botanical’s Avocado and Honey Cream ($20 for 8 oz). It’s supposed to be good for 4A/4B kinks — the majority of what’s on my head — and for twisting. I held onto to that.

For a while now, I’ve been looking at Kinky-Curly Curling Custard ($28 for 8 oz). I was hoping to get my hands on some when I was in New York City, but I never could get to the Whole Foods. I want to try it, but the problem is that I’m not wearing my hair out right now because of the winter weather. So, did it make sense to buy the Curling Custard right now or wait until the spring when I’m planning to wear my hair out and curly?

I went with the Darcy’s Botanicals Avocado and Honey Cream (review to come).

I left with my purchase — HoneyFig donated 5% of the purchase price to Haitian earthquake relief, so not only did I get to indulge my product junkie-ism but I was able to donate to a good cause.

I will definitely be back at the HoneyFig store when it warms up to try out some other products and see what other conditioners, moisturizers, styling products  they have. My readers, have any of you ever visited the HoneyFig store? If you’re not in the Toronto area, what’s your favourite beauty supply store?

Advertisements

12 Comments Add yours

1. Angel says:

I have discovered a new natural product line which really does wonders for the hair (and does not cost you and arm and a leg).

This is the only hair-curl product line which carries the Liquid Gold for the hair and skin. The product line is called Chatto. You can find out about these ancient healing essences for hair and skin at Chatto.com.

I think you will be very, very pleased!

1. urbansista says:

The products look interesting, but for a Canadian, shipping fees are crazy! Shipping on a $14 item is $23.87. If you’re in the U.S. you have a lot more options when it comes to purchasing.

What’s Liquid Gold? Have you used it? Is it a moisturizer?

2. i think that i would spontaneously combust from awesomeness if I walked in to that store!!!!! omg, it sounds amazing, soooo much to choose from. Someone needs to give me a $1000 gift card to a place like that 😀

3. ~Back to Curly~ says:

One could only dream…I wish Honey Fig would grace the US with it’s awesomeness…lol. In NY, we have Ricky’s but they carry a lot of over priced/high end items that are not necessarily geared toward textured hair.

…I’ll continue to keep the fingers crossed

4. myaliasfotography says:

mmm… Honeyfig sounds pretty cool. I’ll have to make a note of heading out there one day, maybe after work. My hair is in braids right now, but in need of some serious conditioning.

1. urbansista says:

What I like most about the store was the person who was working there. She was chill and relaxed — not pressuring me to buy anything, but just to look. There was another woman in there who was asking a lot of questions, and the HoneyFig person was really patient and helpful. I can’t wait to go back.

5. Anya87 says:

I understand the feelings of product junkism. It’s so hard to resist. I had no idea Kinky Curly Custard was $28. I guess I won’t be trying that out, I’ve never paid that much for a hair product. On my list are a lot of organic products like Giovanni brand. Good luck with knocking things off of your list!

1. urbansista says:

That’s $28 Cdn — I think it’s about $20 US. Cheaper, but still pretty expensive. I’m trying to manage the product junkie-ism. It got to the point where going to the drugstore was hard because of all the hair products… and they were cheap to boot!

6. zainab amatullaah says:

great site, I’m really enjoying all that you offer here, I will be a regular! Take care

1. urbansista says:

Thanks! I really appreciate your comment 🙂 Hope to see you often!

7. I love your site!! I know this post is a little old, but I totally understand where you are coming from. A trip to the local pharmacy is sooo difficult!! It would be a huge temptation to have a store like Honey Fig near me!!

1. urbansista says:

Thanks! I’ve banned myself from the pharmacy because I would just buy random conditioners because I could. I’m finally getting through all the crap that I bought in 2009. I’m looking forward to October when I will allow myself to purchase a couple of products that would have definitely run out by then. My pocket — and my hair, if I’m totally honest — are thanking me for restraining myself 🙂