I’ve noticed something about myself: I respond best to challenges and deadlines. If I’m left to linger around at my own pace, I’ll take forever to do something. But, if I know that it has to be done by today at 12, I’m gonna get it to you today by 12. I guess it’s my journalism training. It was drilled into us from the first day of journalism school: you do not miss deadlines.
I’ve decided to join another Hairlista challenge for those very reasons. I like taking care of my hair, but if I’m part of a challenge and I’ve put out there what I’m planning to do, I’m more likely going to do it. This time, it’s the Castor Oil challenge which started on April 15 and runs until July 15. Here’s the rundown of what I’m going to be doing (from the Hairlista site):
Basic: Apply Castor Oil to a clean scalp 1-2 times per week.
Advance: Apply Castor Oil to a clean scalp 2-3 times per week.
Ultimate: Apply Castor Oil to your scalp 5-7 times per week. You must deep condition with a 1-2 tsp of your Castor Oil mixed in your deep conditioner and/or use it to seal your ends.
1. Your Castor Oil MUST be 100% Castor Oil. Grease cannot be used as a substitute on the scalp. However, it can be used to seal i.e. Hollywood Beauty Castor Oil.
2. If you are doing the Basic or Advance level, the Castor Oil must be applied to a clean scalp to allow better penetration so that your scalp can absorb all the nutrients from the oil.
3. One must report any changes, improvements, success in your hair/new growth. This will inspire others!
4. Please upload a photo of your hair progress after the Challenge is complete (there will be a particular thread created for this).
5. NO OTHER GROWTH AIDS can be used while in this challenge.
I have three months to go castor oil crazy — although, I apply castor oil to my scalp pretty frequently already. I’m going to be trying to do this at the advance level — we’ll see how that goes. Yesterday, I ordered the much talked about Jamaican Black Castor Oil from HoneyFig. Now, I had been using my run-of-the-mill clear castor oil, but people online and in the forums made such a fuss about JBCO, I decided to try it for this challenge and keep my clear castor oil for some other things.
Wish me luck, folks! Anyone care to join me?