On Friday, the Hubby, my sister-in-law, KT, and I attended a birthday party for the father of a close friend. I’ll be honest, I don’t get to dress up often. I push to wear makeup once a week: Sundays for church. I may dash something on my face during the week if I’m doing more than going to the grocery store or the bus stop, but for the most part, when I head out Monday through Friday, I’m just trying to get to my destination on time.
I don’t really dress up too much either–I’m in jeans or sweats, whatever is clean and matches. I draw my line at wearing pajamas in public. I haven’t done it yet and I don’t plan to.
So, when I got the invitation to this party, I had to think about what to wear and what to do with my hair.
OK, so enough with the preamble. Here come the photos and details:
Let’s take a moment and congratulate me for my makeup application. I like makeup, but I’m not an aspiring makeup artist. I don’t have enough places to go to warrant spending oodles of money on makeup. So, I use what I have…and beg my sister for her Sephora samples. What’s on my face, you ask?
- Primer: Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer
- Foundation: Maybelline Fit Me Foundation in Coconut & Fenty Beauty Pro Filt’r Soft Matte Longwear Foundation in #480. (I mixed the two because I got the Fenty Beauty foundation as a sample from Sephora and they happened to send a darker colour than I would wear. So why waste it? I just mixed it with the Maybelline and it worked.)
- Highlighter: NYX Baked Blush in Ignite
- Face: I set everything with Ruby Kisses HD Set n’ Forget Setting Powder
- Lips: Essence Extreme Lasting eye pencil (yes, lip liners aren’t always dark enough for me) in 02 but first, espresso, Double Crossed lipstick from Urban Decay’s Little Vices Lip Kit and Tarte Deluxe Tarteist™ Quick Dry Matte Lip Paint in Grand. I topped it off with Essence Shine Shine Shine wet look lip gloss in 06 bright on
- Eyes: Smashbox Cover Shot: Golden Hour Eye Shadow duo sample in Turned On & Psyched, Ruby Kisses New York’s Go Brow Eyebrow Kit, NYX Super Skinny Eye Marker and Giorgio Armani Beauty Eyes to Kill mascara (again, another sample from Sephora. Gotta love Sephora!)
I forgot to set everything because I was running to pick up the Hubby at the train station so we could get to the party at its very early start time of 6 pm.
On the clothing tip, I had briefly thought of buying an outfit because I’m forever saying, “I don’t have anything to wear!!!!”
I have plenty to wear.
Here’s the finished project: hair, makeup and outfit. I don’t look too shabby. As the Hubby has told me before, ‘you clean up pretty well.’
Thanks, I guess.
So what do you think? It was nice to be able to dress up and have an evening away from cartoons and constant crying.
I’m going to put up my fancy sequined skirt until a year from now or whenever the next time I’ll get to dress up and not be in charge of wiping snot.